Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Quicksand or a Hamster Wheel?

Don't know why I was thinking about this today but I started wondering (while running) if I would rather be stuck in quicksand or stuck on a hamster wheel.

I surprised even myself with my answer.

I would much rather do the quicksand thing.

Indulge me on this one...

With quicksand you have movement and progress. It's reverse progress but at least you are going somewhere. With the hamster wheel, you never go anywhere. I would rather be going somewhere than running in place.

Quicksand has a point to it. It's about survival. You can see hope all around you. There is no hope to the hamster wheel.

Quicksand has a beginning and end...there is closure (may not be an ideal end to the situation but...).

The view changes when stuck in quicksand...the view on the hamster wheel...not so much.

I guess this is why I prefer to run outdoors rather than on a treadmill. No matter what a bitch the hill is...at least I am getting somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment