Sunday, June 6, 2021

Random Barstool Lessons

 


I've always said people come into our lives for either a reason, season, or a lifetime.  

I had one of those "reason" encounters recently. 

Cue Jim and Tony. 

I went into one of my favorite watering holes to have lunch and to watch the Bucks obliterate the Heat.  

Two old-timers (I use this term out of respect) came in and sat around the corner of the bar.   They ordered beers and tried to crane their necks to see the game.  They meandered around and asked if they could sit by me to get a better view of the game.  I told them "absolutely...the more the merrier."  

They introduced themselves and you could tell right away they were best friends for life. They had known each other since they were kids and this was the first time since the pandemic hit that they reconnected in public over a cold one. 

They were like bar virgin 21-year-old kids again, looking over the menu and ordering drinks and fare that they probably never ordered before but felt the urge to explore. 

Lately, I haven't been myself (probably a lot of that is going around as we start coming out of this mess). I got to talking to Jim and Tony and it was just what the doctor ordered.  They told me about their work, their retirement, their family, and the loves of their lives and they were absolutely ecstatic to be out again.  It was truly a breath of fresh air.  

My two takeaways? 

Jim told me "if you love what you do, you will never look at it as work...but more like play." 

Tony said, "live life like you stole it." 

I introduced them to the owners of the bar who were touched that they chose their bar to reunite in for the first time in months and I went on my way.  

Totally pulled me out of my funk (ironically, I was at a bar called Funk's) and put me in a better place. 

A reason.  

Thanks, Jim.  Thanks, Tony.  

Next one is on me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment