Saturday, April 4, 2020

To Be Essential or Not To Be Essential?



On December 18th, I was deemed non-essential for my previous company.

On March 18th, I was deemed essential for my current company.

Didn't realize one had the ability to become essential in three short months. That's a helluva online course!

The term "essential" has obviously taken on new meaning during the Coronavirus pandemic. Essential employees. Essential businesses. Essential services. It begs the question; who judges who or what is essential and who or what isn't? I would argue that just like the food chain, everyone plays an essential role but essentiality is truly in the eye of the beholder. How did I go from non-essential to essential in three short months? I didn't change. But, the people around me did.


But, here's the thing; essentiality is not to be judged by others. Essentiality is within each and every one of us. Each of us has an internal pilot light that just needs a spark to light.




Once it is lit, essentiality is born.



Don't let someone else randomly choose whether or not you are deemed essential. Discover it yourself.

Find the spark that lights the light.

These are trying times for sure. Lots of questions. Lots of doubts. But don't doubt your own essentiality.

To be essential or not to be essential? There is no question.





No comments:

Post a Comment