Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ray Kinsella is no CEO

I am in advertising. I've always loved the power of it. It has the ability to move people to make decisions. It plants the seed of choice.

My primary purpose and goal when I work with clients is to help them define their brand and then help develop stories to promote that brand. It's a pretty cool gig when you think about it.

I truly believe that every business needs to advertise in some way. I really don't care how they do it or what medium they choose...as long as they do it.

It still boggles my mind. There are still business owners out there that honestly feel that their business is a baseball diamond in the middle of a corn field in Dyersville, Iowa.

"If you build it, they will come."

They honestly feel that all they have to do is open their doors and people will flock into their business. I got news for you...that ain't gonna work. There are too many competitors telling their stories about the "why" factor for their individual business. The "why" factor is THE reason people shop in that store, utilize a service or purchase a product.

It's not about the bricks and mortar...it's about the "why." We make decisions from the heart and then try and justify them with the head. To start with the heart...there needs to be an emotional connection...and you don't get there with just an open door.

Terrance Mann would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment