Saturday, October 26, 2019

The Boys of Fall


They didn't let just anybody in that club
Took every ounce of heart and sweat and blood
To get to wear those game-day jerseys down the hall
The kings of the school, man, we're the boys of fall


Last night, I witnessed my oldest son's last high school football game as they were beaten in the state playoffs. As he walked off the field and our eyes met, we grabbed each other and held on as tears streamed down both our faces. So proud. "It's been a great ride, son."

On the drive home alone, my mind went back to our backyard when he was little and just starting to learn the game. My mind went back to my Dad. My mind went back to my football career. Lost in the smell of the freshly cut grass, the sounds of pads crackling and the smiles and tears of games gone by.

I've always said football is the ultimate team sport. But, it's so much more. It's a brotherhood like no other.

I have played, coached, talked about the sport on radio and TV and watched thousands of games.

The life lessons the sport teaches are too numerous to count.

I have had the pleasure of coaching both of my boys; seven seasons each. The view from the sidelines as a coach and a dad is amazing.


From my Dad to me and from me to my boys. Life and football. Always intertwined. Always connected.

It's I got your number, I got your back when your back's against the wall
You mess with one man you got us all
The boys of fall.








No comments:

Post a Comment